Mr Anthony G. Quinn
MB ChB, FRANZCO, FRCOphth, DCH
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Exeter
Mr Anthony Quinn is passionate about vision correction and is highly regarded by his patients and peers in eye care.
Happy word-of-mouth recommendations and direct referrals from eyecare professionals are the foundation of Mr Anthony Quinn’s Z-LASIK Vision Correction and refractive lens surgery practice. Mr Quinn’s patients and referrers trust his reputation for great outcomes in vision correction microsurgery, his passion for excellence and his outstanding communication skills with his patients.
Mr Quinn is a highly trained and experienced vision correction specialist. His training as an Eye Surgeon started in Auckland and Christchurch, New Zealand, and went on to Western Australia and Toronto, Canada. Since his appointment as a Consultant Eye Surgeon in Exeter in 1996, he has performed vision correction surgery on thousands of patients of all ages, from the youngest baby to the most senior citizens. Blade-free, wavefront-guided, Z-LASIK is the most common technique used now, providing the highest levels of accuracy and safety.
Overview of Mr Quinn’s Achievements (click to expand)
- Z-LASIK laser eye surgery
- Refractive lens surgery, including toric intraocular lens implants for astigmatism
- High prescriptions
- Comprehensive training in Ophthalmic Surgery, Auckland and Christchurch, New Zealand
- Fellowship, Toronto General Hospital and the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 'Certified LASIK surgeon: Alcon Wavelight Allegretto excimer Laser and Ziemer Z8 Femtosecond laser.
- Vision Correction Specialist and Partner – Exeter Laser Eye Surgeons
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital, Exeter
- Head of the School of Ophthalmology, NHS South West Peninsula Deanery, England (2009-2013)
- Member, Royal College of Ophthalmologists Training Committee (2010-2013)
- Chair, Exeter Eye LLP
Associations, awards and memberships:
- Fellow, Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK
- Member, American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Member, European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Member, United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
- Member, American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus
- Achievements in UK Health Service recognised by national Clinical Excellence Award, ACCEA, 2008
Publications in Scientific Literature:
- Mr Quinn has authored 24 publications in peer-reviewed journals, 6 further publications as a collaborator in major study groups, and 6 book chapters, over his career so far. A key study group was the ESCRS Endophthalmitis Study Group, whose publications resulted in major improvements to the safety of cataract surgery worldwide. This study was the most influential in cataract surgery safety in the last 2 decades.
Mr Quinn’s training and experience
Mr Quinn has a broad and deep training in Ophthalmology, allowing him to ensure, after a comprehensive evaluation, the best option for your vision correction. Training in New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom has equipped him well. His patients value his passion for excellence and solid reputation among his peers in vision correction surgery.
Listening to patients, good two way communication and accessible explanation are the key to achieving patients’ visual goals. Mr Quinn and his team strive to excel at open, friendly, honest communication. He personally guarantees that his patients will see him for an in depth consultation prior to surgery, that he will evaluate which surgery is appropriate for you, that he will personally perform your surgery himself and that he and his team will answer all your questions prior to your surgery. He will also see you after surgery to ensure all is satisfactory, and he will give you his home and mobile contact details so that you can contact him if needed.
Mr Quinn is an expert in LASIK laser vision correction, LASEK vision correction, refractive lens surgery and many others. You will always receive personalised advice from Mr Quinn, and can be sure he will advise the most appropriate alternative for you, if you are not a candidate for a particular procedure.
Mr Quinn is a highly experienced micro-incision cataract surgeon. He continuously audits his outcomes and uses the most advanced technologies to achieve great vision for his cataract patients. He aims to ensure his patients have the least possible need for glasses after surgery, correcting any astigmatism and need for reading glasses with his surgery.
Mr Quinn’s commitment to safety
Mr Quinn’s overarching concern is safety in any surgical procedure to improve your vision. He personally checks all tests and diagnostic investigations, and safety checks include double or triple checking eye measurements. In Laser Vision Correction, we use the latest AMO-VISX Star S4 laser, using iris recognition technology and wavefront analysis. These technologies are never optional ‘add-ons’ but always used in our patients. He operates in a fully-fledged operating theatre environment, with filtered air under positive pressure in the room, to ensure no dust of bacteria can enter through the air supply. He uses the latest evidence to ensure all cataract and refractive lens surgery patients are maximally protected from infection, evidence he was instrumental in producing through a Europe-wide study of over 16000 patients having cataract surgery.
Mr Quinn’s team
Louise Frost is a highly experienced Optometrist working for Exeter Laser Eye Surgeons. Mr Quinn's administration support team includes his secretary Jo. Mr Quinn and Mr Byles work very closely together, ensuring that all Exeter Laser Eye Surgeons patients have access to an experienced Consultant Eye Surgeon at all times.
Secretary to Mr Quinn
Mr Quinn’s family and personal interests
Mr Quinn is married to Elke, General Practitioner and amazing Mum. Their two girls are at University, enjoying student life and learning. Tony and Elke enjoy walking and catching up with their girls. Tony manages the occasional game of golf with friends.
Make an appointment with Mr Quinn
Contact Jo or Tracy by telephone or for appointments, available on Monday afternoons, Wednesdays, and Friday mornings. Evening appointments are available on Mondays. Saturday morning appointments are by special arrangement.