Mr Daniel B. Byles
MB ChB, FRCOphth
Eye Specialist in LASIK, LASEK, Refractive Lens & Cataract
Mr Byles' aim is to provide the safest and best possible refractive correction for every person. Eye laser treatment or surgery (and even examination of the eyes) can be frightening for many people and he works to make the experience as stress-free as possible at every stage.
Mr Daniel Byles' reputation as an established ophthalmic surgeon relies on recommendation from happy patients and close working with referrers to provide the service that people need. Detailed assessments allow Daniel to offer the best available options for each individual depending on the focus and health of their eyes. For some this may mean that they are advised against laser or lens treatments since safety is a priority. Most people however are able to benefit from treatments to correct their vision.
Since his appointment as Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon in Exeter in 2001, Daniel Byles has performed thousands of vision correction procedures through cataract surgery, refractive lens exchange and laser procedures. He performs ‘all-laser’ Z-LASIK correction at Exeter Nuffield Hospital, with lens and cataract surgery at both Exeter Nuffield Hospital and also the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
Overview of Mr Byles' Achievements (click to expand)
- Z-LASIK laser eye surgery
- LASEK laser eye surgery
- Refractive lens exchange including multifocal & toric lens implants
- Cataract surgery
- Cambridge University and Bristol University Medical School.
- Oxford Regional Ophthalmology Training Rotation.
- Bristol Eye Hospital Fellowship in Cornea and Glaucoma.
- Certified LASIK surgeon: Alcon Wavelight Allegretto excimer Laser and Ziemer Z8 Femtosecond laser.
- Vision Correction Specialist (Laser Lens and Cataract) and Partner, Exeter Laser Eye Surgeons.
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
- Lead Clinician for Ophthalmology, West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
- Peninsular School of Medicine and Dentistry, Specialty Lead for Ophthalmology, Exeter.
- CQC lead, Exeter Eye LLP
Associations, awards and memberships:
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of Royal Society of Medicine
- Member of UK and Eire Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Member of International Society of Electrophysiology of Vision
Publications in Scientific Literature:
- Mr Byles has published several scientific papers in peer-reviewed literature. He continues to be involved in scientific presentations and publications as part of his role as Consultant and Clinical Trainer in the West of England Eye Unit.
Mr Byles' training and experience
Mr Daniel Byles completed medical training at Cambridge University and Bristol University Medical School. His ophthalmic training was mainly in Oxford with a specialist Fellowship in Corneal disease, as well as Glaucoma, at Bristol Eye Hospital.
Daniel is fully trained and specializes in Z-LASIK femtosecond laser eye correction and also LASEK laser eye correction. He is also a specialist in the use of multifocal and toric intraocular lens implants, which in selected people can provide a superior visual outcome following Refactive Lens Exchange and Cataract Surgery.
Mr Byles' commitment to safety
Daniel’s first priority is to ensure that you receive the best treatment for your individual eyes. This means discussing your visual needs and matching these with the focus and general health of your eyes. We use state-of-the-art scans to provide as much information as possible about your eyes before discussing your options. Providing the safest possible treatment sometimes means having to tell you that your eyes are not suitable for the treatment you were hoping for, although alternatives may be available.
Mr Byles' team
Daniel Byles and Anthony Quinn work closely together. They believe that sharing their expertise ensures the best possible outcomes, and being able to provide emergency cover for each other improves the safety of their service.
Louise Frost, a highly experienced optometrist who works for Exeter Laser Eye Surgeons, confirms the focusing power of your eyes and takes detailed scans to ensure the health of your corneas and help select the best treatment option. Secretary Niki is available during office hours to book appointments and answer queries.
Secretary to Mr Byles
Mr Byles' family and personal interests
Daniel’s wife Megan is a GP in Exeter. Their two daughters and Labrador keep daily life busy. Living in Exeter gives great access to walks in the countryside and on the coast. Daniel also enjoys sailing when he gets the time.
Make an appointment with Mr Byles
Contact Niki or Jo by telephone or to make an appointment to see Daniel on Monday and Friday mornings, or Thursday afternoon/evenings.
For laser assessment we also offer one-stop appointments combining detailed measurements and scans by Louise Frost, as well as an appointment with Daniel.